25th March, 2014
After being provided with an image to inspire the design of the crown, I set about working out a way I could produce it. The part which would take the longest was piercing out the lacework with a jewellery saw. Seeing as I had a relatively short amount of time to get this done with the deadline being a wedding day, I came up with an alternative solution that would look just as effective and have more sentiment than a pierced piece of metal.
I decided that a piece of vintage handmade lace would make a suitable base, and when I visited Sabrina Evans (Sabio design) she produced a fantastic piece that was exactly the dimensions I required. Lucky.
From here, I cut the lace to the dimension of position it would sit on Kirshas head, and stiffened it with 3 layers of watered down PVA glue. I stitched it up the back with fine thread, and posted it to Sydney to be cast in sterling silver.
If you follow the order of the photos below, it will give you an idea of the making process without needing to read too much, but if you have any questions, please email me at and I'll happily answer them.
To the right hand side is what it looked like originally, but I cut and filed the silver away to create more of an art deco look to tie in with the wedding dress.
i added any settings to the surface, I polished the silver back on the buffer with a diamond polish. To clean any oil from the surface, I then scrubbed it with dishwashing detergent using a toothbrush
I drilled out the areas inside each setting using several types of attachments to the flexi shaft.